![]() |
| Eden, right, prays with her father. |
Growing up in an observant household, taking on new mitzvot has always been exciting, part of initiating and personalizing my Jewish
journey. When I was seven, I started keeping Shabbat. When I was eleven, I started fasting on fast days. When I was twelve, I started davening every day. When I was fifteen, I started studying daf yomi (admittedly not a mitzvah, but certainly a significant practice). When I was sixteen, I had my first truly inspirational prayer experience at a partnership minyan in New York City. And when I turned seventeen, I began laying tefillin.
Of all the reasons that I took a long time to start wearing tefillin, I’d like to address only one here: frankly, I was grossed out by the idea of wrapping a dead body around my arm every day. It just felt uncomfortable. As a person who is very conscientious about what I put in my mouth and on my body—I adhere to a vegan diet, make my own toiletries, and more.—this mitzvah felt unnatural. How can I perform a spiritual ritual that can only be completed through the untimely death of a fellow creature?
This issue quickly became more than just a theological question: it became an ethical dilemma.
I’d like to bring a halachic concept to the table. It’s called a mitzvah haba’ah b’aveira, a mitzvah that comes from a sin. Recently, my chavruta and I came across this concept in our Talmud shiur. Our scenario involved using a stolen lulav on Sukkot—which is forbidden, for this reason. We don’t want to do mitzvot, which are inherently good, by doing aveirot, which are inherently bad. It would seem obvious that stealing to fulfil the mitzvah of lulav would be wrong—why even give an explanation? It’s unethical. Doing something good in the world by doing something bad in the world cancels the good deed out; it’s basic mathematics. A negative plus a positive gets you nowhere—especially when they don’t have the same weight. Killing for the sake of fulfilling a mitzvah didn’t seem to add up. I didn’t want my prayer to become a mitzvah haba’ah b’aveira.
Despite my feelings about the ethics or lack thereof of leather, however, I still really wanted to take on the practice of tefillin. As a halachic Jew, I simply couldn’t not. Tefillin are part of the deal. I didn’t know how to balance wanting to fulfill my chiyuv, my obligation, and sticking to my ground about not supporting the killing of animals. I asked questions and did research until I finally heard of something that seemed to be the perfect solution: tefillin shel shlil. Tefillin shel shlil are tefillin whose leather is made from an animal that died of natural causes. There are sofrim in Israel who ask kibbutzim to tell them when a cow dies naturally, and from that hide and that hide only they make the tefillin.
This way, no one is killing; there is no prescribed death for the purposes of human benefit. It’s natural, it’s recycling. It’s like giving the cow another life, without touching its first one. I can’t say if this is objectively so or I’ve just sunken into a deep level of cognitive dissonance—I can only tell you that I’ve never once felt gross putting on my tefillin shel shlil.
Finding a comfortable solution was not easy, but Judaism is not about ease. There are questions—very difficult questions—and there is no one answer for every person. Not picking and choosing my halachic practices or my ethical ones is difficult, but worthwhile when I can say that my halachic lifestyle compromises neither my integrity nor my ethical commitments.
Now, every day when I put my tefillin on, knowing that they are a product of nature and not of industry, I daven proudly. I am happy to have taken another step in my Jewish journey.
Eden Farber, age seventeen, is an unschooler and an alumna of Drisha's Dr. Beth Samuels High School Programs and BIMA at Brandeis. She is a columnist for the Atlanta Jewish Times and has written for theFBomb.org, JOFA's The Torch, the JOFA Journal, the New York Jewish Week's Fresh Ink for Teens, and Modern Hippie Magazine. Next year, she will be attending Midreshet Ein Hanatziv's Hesder program, which combines Torah study and military service.

This is such an interesting article. I'm very not-vegan, but I definitely see the ethical merits of tefillin shel shlil, which I had never heard of before (although admittedly, I don't lay tefillin). Thank you for sharing your thoughts! This article was really informative and fun to read.
ReplyDeleteThis was a big issue for me too. I've been a vegetarian for about 25 years (12 of those were vegan), and I would be uncomfortable buying new leather. I received as a gift a pair of used tefillin that were sitting unused in someone's dresser drawer. To me, this was an acceptable compromise to avoid buying leather. I touched up the black paint, and I'll get them checked and refurbished at some point, and hopefully they'll be used for many more years rather than going to waste.
ReplyDeleteI am very interested in the tefillin shel shlil and I'm glad that others are giving careful thought to compassionate observance of mitzvot.
While I truly do appreciate the sentiment of the piece and really hate to rain on your parade I feel it my duty to relate to you my feelings on the reality of this practice. Any cow on a milk farm will be brought to slaughter instead of being allowed to die naturally, so the cows being used for these Tefillin are only dying because they are very sick. Almost surely they are sick from being kept in factory farm conditions. I grew up on a kibbubtz and I can attest to the fact that they do not treat their cows too well. I hope to one day start a green Tefillin company where the cows are raised and slaughtered ethically, but the killing part is unavoidable.
ReplyDeleteEden, you are awesome. I appreciate so many things about your approach. I really appreciate that you didn't just say some PC "I feel" goop and do what you want. You made torah greater by attaching yourself to it, not cancelling torah or yourself.
ReplyDeleteShlil means the leather is made from the skin of an unborn calf. The pregnant cows are slaughtered commercially. One could get tefilin made of the skin of an animal that died on it's own from natural causes, but you'd have ot do some work with to get them. Shlil does not and has never meant "an animal that dies on it own". Ask any competent sofer (scribe)
ReplyDeleteWell written, as always. Mind a challenging question? If killing a cow is an aveirah, what about sacrifices? Or the permission to slaughter animals from Deuteronomy 12:15?
ReplyDeleteI thought of a couple of other things.
ReplyDeleteYou express your feelings so nicely. I noticed that you expressed many of them in the past tense: "I was grossed out by...it just felt uncomfortable...it felt unnatural", "Killing for the sake of fulfilling a mitzvah didn’t seem to add up", "I didn’t know how to balance wanting to fulfill my obligation, and sticking to my ground about not supporting the killing of animals." Have these feelings changed? Or have you since decided that maybe not all slaughtering is indeed an aveira?