Welcome to V'Tzivanu!
A few years ago, I began to think about the possibility of wearing tzitzit and laying tefillin. As a curious fourteen-year-old, naturally the first place I went to explore this idea was the internet. But when I searched for "women and tefillin," I found only articles explaining why women do not wear tefillin, and "women and tzitzit" turned up "tzitzit belts" marketed by messianic Christians. In the past few months, the Jewish news and blogosphere has exploded with stories of young women laying tefillin. It has been my great joy to be a part of these stories, and I hope that now, when some young woman Googles "women and tefillin," she is met with more than explanations of why we do not perform this mitzvah.
This press coverage, however, is not enough. The driving force behind my decision to finally begin observing these mitzvot was my female role models. Conversations with female teachers solidified my beliefs and strengthened my resolve, and when I finally screwed up the courage to lay tefillin, it was a woman who taught me. It is my hope that V'Tzivanu will provide a place for women to explore their experiences with tefillin and tzitzit, and be a resource for girls who fear that they are alone. There can never be too many women's stories in the world. We are not alone, and it is time for the world to know that.
Tizku l'mitzvot!
-Avigayil Halpern
As we observe these meaningful embodied spiritual practices in our far-flung homes, schools and communities, please take a moment to help ensure that Jewish women will be able to don tallit, bind with tefillin and read from the Torah in the women's section at the Kotel in Jerusalem. Sound your voice: https://www.facebook.com/WoWReferendum
ReplyDeleteThank you for starting this blog! I have just started to lay tefillin, and like you, I was looking to connect with other women who are similarly exploring these mitzvot.
ReplyDeleteThank you, I'm so glad!
DeleteI`m really excited to follow this blog, and to see the growth of a community dialogue around women's observance of these mitzvot. I have not (yet?) taken on these mitzvot myself, but just a note. It`s beautiful that you have found encouragement from your female teachers, but actually in my life it has been conversations with a (male) rabbi-mentor which have encouraged me to explore these mitzvot further more than anyone.
ReplyDeleteLikewise. It was a male friend/mentor who encouraged me to give it a try when I expressed interest, and who gave me his extra set of tefillin. Then it was a female friend who actually helped me to put them on. I'm so glad we're starting to build a supportive community! And I hope we can help support each-other in these mitzvot.
ReplyDelete(I'm signing off with my Hebrew name now, because these "anonymous" posts are going to get confusing soon!)
Be well, Ruth Bruriah